Monday, November 26, 2007

Doesn't make sense

The Latin Church seems determined to preserve mandatory clerical celibacy at all costs. If that's what they want to do then fine. I personally think it is a mistake, but I am not going to change Rome's mind. God knows that Bishops and Cardinals have been unable to do so. In the light of their intransigence on this issue, though, I have a huge problem with the exceptions being made. The "pastoral provision" that allows some married former ministers in other denominations (primarily Anglican and Lutheran) to be ordained as Catholic priests strikes me as a cruel joke. It is always claimed that this is a rare exception (although Rome is loath to publish any numbers). However, with the recent news that the Traditional Anglican Communion, numbering some 400,000 soul, has petitioned for union with Rome the trickle of married former Anglican/Episcopalian clergy being ordained as Catholic priests looks to soon become a flood. Either celibacy is a necessary constituent of the Latin Rite priesthood or it is not. Either it is binding on everyone or on no one. I don't think Rome should be able to have its cake and eat it too.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I think you're asking for too much here. Making sense is not their forté.

Terry Nelson said...

"The Latin Church seems determined to preserve mandatory clerical celibacy at all costs."

But what about the children? (Just kidding.)

IronKnee said...

I'm totally for a married clergy, but I think if that ever happens in the Roman Church they're going to ordain married men, not let ordained men get married. I've known many married deacons who would make wonderful priests. They have families; they have jobs. Ordain them presbyters. Why the hell not, if they want to be presbyters? This is a total no-brainer to me.

The current model of a full-time priest (how would we support a married priest and his family?)is nonsense. He would have a secular job and do "priest" part time, the same way deacons do "deacon" part time.

A priest in my parish has become one of my best friends in the last two years, and we hang out a lot. I've learned through him that priests aren't always nearly as busy as I was led to believe priests are. Witness this blog.

A presbyter could easily have a full-time job and still be a priest in a parish. It could happen.

Fr. Charles Ledderer said...

With enough priests it could happen. But the tough thing is that you will be needed. It would be hard to hold down a "regular job" and be available for funerals! But with enough of us I guess it could work.

If things continue as they are now though, priests will e occupied 24/7. Right now i have only on parish. But very soon I might have 2 (or more) parishes. That will eliminate the possibility if doing much else. Won't be much blogging then!