Thursday, October 25, 2007

Elizabeth Regina

This evening I saw the movie Elizabeth: The Golden Age. While it wasn't the best of movies I failed to see in it the anti-Catholicism which some have claimed. Anything derogatory towards Catholicism seemed to me simply to reflect the attitude of the 16th century English, from whose vantage point the story is told. I certainly find anti-Catholicism to be terribly offensive. And sadly it does seem to be the last "acceptable" prejudice. However, I think we do ourselves more harm than good when we see imagine anti-Catholic bigotry everywhere we look. It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it!!! Cate Blanchett was robbed of the Oscar in 1998 for Elizabeth (it having gone to Gwyneth Paltrow instead for *Shakespeare in Love*). I was totally nonplussed.

Fr. Charles Ledderer said...

I hope that you enjoy it! Cate does do a good Elizabeth!

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.