Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Reverence

Reverence. The world is surely lacking in it these days. Anyone "with eyes to see" can recognize that fact. I often find myself bemoaning the lack of reverence. What is the cause of the terrible irreverence in the world today? I am not sure that I can give a meaningful answer to that question. I can, however, say what is not to blame. Out in the blogosphere I frequently encounter the assertion that the demise of the Tridentine Mass is to blame for the rampant irreverence in society today. Hogwash! I do not believe for one moment that all would be well in our world if the Second Vatican Council had never happened. The world experienced a seismic shift - culturally, socially, politically - beginning in the 1960s. The irreverence so characteristic of this age has its roots in that shift. To somehow think that the Church could have escaped all that by burying its head in the Tridentine sands is to live in a fantasy land.

With that being said I believe that it is incumbent upon all of us to work to restore a sense of reverence, especially in our worship. It is easy to sit back and complain. But what are we concretely doing to remedy the situation? I don't for one moment accept the ridiculous assertion that the Novus Ordo is irreverent. Can it be celebrated irreverently? Of course! But so could the Tridentine Mass. It is just that most of what happened there was hidden from the congregation. A wise DRE once told me that the young people today who are into the "old Mass" are experiencing it being said by priest who really want to do it and aren't experiencing "how it use to be" with so many priests perfunctorily rushing through it. Those of us who preside at the altar today should make every effort to ensure that the celebration is reverent. Then hopefully our people will recover a sense of reverence in their own lives.

5 comments:

Adoro said...

I recently had the good fortune to meet a young man from the Ukraine who was raised Russian Orthodox but converted to Catholicism.

He told his story; most of them felt that the church was irrelevant, partially because no one could understand what was going on. The Masses would last for 5 hours, all of it standing. People would wander in and out, never being there to participate in the entire thing. There was no meaning.

He met some Catholics, and was exposed to the Catholic Mass. Not the Tridentine mass, but the Novus Ordo, and his eyes were opened. He saw the symbolism, he recognized scripture, he could understand what was happening, and he saw the value.

Had his first experience with the Church been the Tridentine mass, he would not have converted. As it was, when he came to experience Catholicism, he saw Jesus.

He does not deny the presence of Jesus in his own religion, but rather, only laments that he had not been able to see and experience him there. He found truth and life and home in Roman Catholicism.

I've met other converts the same way. I've also met people who converted/reverted upon their experience with the Tridentine mass.

So I would argue that reverence is present in both forms, that BOTH forms are necessary, BOTH are valid, and that a pendulum is swinging.

The reform of the reform is working to bring the misguided excesses back to center, and bringing Latin back to the Mass. Sacrosanctum Concilium (V2) stated very clearly that the Latin was not to be lost entirely. There's no reason that the Novus Ordo can't have the Sanctus, Agnus Dei, etc in Latin, and have a few hymns/chants in Latin. Such would be according to the vision of Vatican 2. They are easy to learn, but leave the rest of the mass in the vernacular.

As far as the Tridentine Mass, well, in my area, the churches that have the Tridentine mass and the Latin Novus Ordo are filling the seminary. But, to be fair, the parishes that have reverent Novus Ordo masses are nearly equal contributors.

There are other factors in a parish that lead to conversions/vocations, so mass isn't the only thing; it's the main thing, but life has to go beyond it.

Hope that made sense.

Fr Scott Bailey, C.Ss.R. said...

Why do people always assume that the Tridentine Mass was always celebrated reverently? Two examples of irreverence that were very common:

I've heard several older priests brag about how they could "get through Mass in 12 minutes." I've heard some say that on All Souls' Day they could "get through three successive Masses in less than half an hour." This is not reverent. It's sinful. It's a travesty and a sacrilege.

Another brag I've heard from older priests is "I celebrated Mass perfectly...every rubric perfectly executed...I was good. It looked perfect." This is not reverent either: it's idolatry. The rubrics were the end all and be all. Sadly this attitude has returned with a vengence.

Rubricism does not equal reverence. Rubricism is from the will. Reverence is from the heart. The priest who celebrates liturgy reverently does so out of love for God. The rubricist does so out of love for self.

Similarly, the irreverent priest is acting out of love for self. He dismisses the rubrics and makes up his own liturgy. Whether he recognizes it or not he thinks of himself as the center of the liturgy and acts so as to draw attention to himself just like the rubricist.

It's important for every priest to ask himself, "what is the real reason I'm following/not following the rubrics?" and more importantly, "am I doing this out of love?"

As a priest I struggle to remember that I stand in persona Christi meaning that Christ is the center of the liturgy, not me. I stand in for Him. I am only important to the Mass insofar as I stand in His place doing what He commanded at the Last Supper. The words of the Baptist must always be on my lips: "I must decrease so that He can increase."

Melody K said...

I agree with you, Adoro, "... that reverence is present in both forms, that BOTH forms are necessary." I was about 12 when many of the changes started taking place; and prior to that I can remember both very reverent celebrations of the Mass, and also very perfunctory, almost mechanical celebrations. It's all about attitude, then and now. Some people seem to think that the Masses prior to Vatican II were all incense, bells, and the gorgeous music. I can remember attending exactly one Solemn High Mass. It was the Mass at which I was confirmed at the age of 9. Much of the time I attended a 6:00 am Sunday Mass with my Dad. I remember it as being austere and reverent. In the noisy late 60's and 70's, I often longed for one of those quiet dawn Masses. It seems that better balance has returned to the Church. It is good for people to be able to experience both the old and the new done appropriately,

Anonymous said...

I have yet to witness the Mass of Paul VI celebrated in Latin (EWTN doesn't count). I'm planning on visiting a Cistercian monastery in January where they pray the Divine Office and the Mass (Novus Ordo) in Latin. I can't wait!
Fr. Bailey: very good comments!!

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.