Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reality check

One supposed "fact" so called "traditionalists" like to state is that the pedophilia/homosexuality problem in the priesthood is all the result of "evil" Vatican II seminaries. I recently read the Grand Jury Report on the the Archdiocese of Philadelphia's handling of sexual abuse cases. It is very telling that the distribution of miscreant clerics is almost evenly divided between those ordained before and those ordained after the council. Reality usual doesn't mesh mesh with the traditionalist's "fantasy land". But don't worry; they'd never allow reality to disturb their view of the world!

Don't believe me? Read the report for yourself. I have to warn you, though. It is very disturbing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose some people need a scapegoat to explain away this very painful and shameful period in the Catholic Church. Since a certain "side" dominates the language, a la "In the Spirit of Vatican II . . . ," it's easy to blame VII. It's ridiculous to blame just one thing as the cause.
I sincerely believe that at the root of this horrible scandal are are the lack of piety, the culture of compassion uberalis that is in vogue in and out of Church circles, which leads to the exising of "judgemental" phrases from the Gospel readings, and a cavilier attitude toward evil and the immoral by many Christians in general . The Linacre's Institute's After Asceticism: Sex, Prayer and Deviant Priests , covers the points I mentioned above as it affects the clergy and their formation.

Adoro said...

The Johns Hopkins (?) college of Criminal Justice cites the reality that most of those abused were at the hands of, not pedophile, but HOMOSEXUAL priests. There is a difference in the ages of the victims. Yet the secular media loves to call it "pedophilia" when it is something different, albeit related...although unfortunately it infolves their pet project, homosexuality.

OK, for some reason the title of that study seems wrong to me...I'm butchering it. Please tell me you know about the study I'm citing even though my brain quit hours ago...

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.