Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Pharisee and "prayer"

"The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself ..."

In reading today's Gospel it was this line that immediately caught my attention. The main point of Jesus' parable is so obvious that we can easily overlook this very powerful line. The pharisee doesn't pray at all; he merely recites to himself a catalog of his own imagined virtues. Pray, by definition, is not talking to oneself, it is conversation with God. I need to continually ask myself whether I am truly or praying, or merely talking to myself.

2 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

"and spoke this prayer to himself ..."

The exact same phrase stuck out to me... after the intro of course, "Jesus addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else."

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.