Thursday, October 18, 2007

Feast of St. Luke

From today's Office of Readings:

Beloved brothers, our Lord and Savior sometimes gives us instruction by words and sometimes by actions. His very deeds are our commands; and whenever he acts silently he is teaching us what we should do. For example, he sends his disciples out to preach two by two, because the precept of charity is twofold-love of God and of one’s neighbour.

The Lord sends his disciples out to preach in two’s in order to teach us silently that whoever fails in charity toward his neighbor should by no means take upon himself the office of preaching. (St. Gregory the Great, Homily 17)


Hmmm. Many out here in the blogosphere preaching away. And quite a few of these seem incapable of demonstrating the slightest bit of charity toward their neighbor. Sancte Luca, ora pro eis!

4 comments:

Adoro said...

I think he also sends us out in 2's so that where one fails to speak to a certain audience, the other can assist by rephrasing!

Or also so the angry mob can divide their attention between one or the other.

I have the give the 2nd of two talks tonight, and after my first hostile crowd, boy, will I be praying today! It could have been worse, and I'm tweaking my presentation a little today based on a few things I learned on Tuesday, but tonight, I will not have the presence of the DRE to reinforce or better explain somethng.

There really IS something to having more than one to preach. And often I think it's to counteract the uncharibility of the crowd.

Or just moral support. Moral support is good, too.

Our priest is not present for these things, and others have told me that if he was, the people would not react in the same way. But in the end, he'd still get angry calls. * sigh *

You can speak the truth in love, but when peoples' definition of "love" is disordered (St. Thomas Aquinas), well, they won't hear the message of mercy no matter how many times you use the words "mercy", "love", "forgiveness", etc.

Please pray for me. And everyone who will be attending.

Fr. Charles Ledderer said...

I send prayer your way! I have to speak Saturday at our First Reconciliation Prep. But you are correct. The priest can say lots of stuff and they'll just sit there. But let a layperson say it and they are all up in arms. Couldn't your priest even make an appearance and speak briefly to them?

I agree with your read on the two-by-two. I have always seen it as a way to be fortified in the mission, knowing that you are not alone, having someone to hold you up when you are weak.

Adoro said...

Thanks for your prayer! It went much better tonight, and while I didn't have another person there, the DRE came in and gave an intro, made announcements, etc., so she could get out the door.

God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.