Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Great Article

I just read a great article on deaconsforlife.org dealing with the issue of clerical celibacy. Here is a snippet:
I find the tendency by some theologically "conservative" Catholics to discount the position of those who invite reconsideration of mandatory celibacy as somehow less "faithful" to the Church’s Magisterium both annoying and misplaced. Worse, I find efforts to lump anyone who disagrees with mandatory celibacy as dissenters to be offensive. The insinuation that anyone who proposes a return to voluntary celibacy chosen as a vocational response to God’s call - before ordination to the order of deacon- is less theologically faithful is historically, factually, and theologically wrong.
Read the whole thing here.

4 comments:

Michael J. Bayly said...

Hey, great site!

It's a breath of fresh air, and I'll be sure to visit on a regular basis. I've also put a link to your site from mine.

Peace,

Michael

Jeffrey Smith said...

I agree that open discussion doesn't equal dissent, but I've seen enough of what the lack of celibacy has caused in Protestant denominations to have concluded that married clergy is a very bad move.

Fr. Charles Ledderer said...

But what about what mandatory celibacy ha brought about in the Roman Church?

In the end there is no ideal world here below. Every option has its downside.

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.