Monday, October 29, 2007

War

Without getting into the politics surrounding the war in Iraq I want to make one simple observation. It amazes me how the "Religious Right" (by which I mean Evangelical Christians and their Catholic "wannabe fundy" cohorts) have made this war such a religious issue. Even to the point, in some instances, of making support for it a litmus test of authentic Christianity. Something seems amiss when so-called Christians are the loudest, most zealous voices crying out in support of a war that is destroying Christianity in Iraq. For the Evangelicals I doubt there is a conflict; after all, the eastern-rite Catholics and the Assyrian Ancient Church of the East faithful, who make up the bulk of the Christian community there, aren't in their minds real followers of Christ anyway.

6 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

I know! I once had a post up that got me some hate mail - and all I was doing is talking about how the Bush administration is going to use the same excuses they used to attack Iraq as a reason to attack Iran - that was back in August.

Unknown said...

Don't the evangelicals believe that they are facilitating the "Second Coming's" Battle of Armageddon?

I tend to stay away from that book of the Bible. My head always hurts when thinking of its meaning.

I trust Jesus. "But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone." Matthew 24:36.

I just try to stay ready all the time.

Anonymous said...

Ray, if you're going to Mass you can't avoid Revelation. It's all about the Mass.

Ignore what the Evangelicals say about the book and the battle; while I love and appreciate our Evangelical brothers and sisters, they don't have the corner on the market; the Catholic Church does. (If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be Catholic and neither would you.)

Read Scott Hahn "The Lamb's Supper". It's not difficult reading and it explains a LOT.

~ Adoro

Fr. Charles Ledderer said...

Ray: You hit the nail on the head with your comment. Some of the fundies (to be fair, not all) believe they are hastening the Second Coming. To me it seems the height of arrogance to try to force God's hand!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Father.

So many folks find it simpler to go through life grabbing on to one or two verses or concepts or tenets of faith.

That would be nice, but that doesn't seem to be the way it works with "free will" in the picture. It's a lot more complicated.

And for the record, I have read Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper" laying out the symbolism of the Book of Revelation and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. It's a wonderful book and I think Hahn has it right.

But it still hurts my head. I'll have to read it a dozen more times.

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles Ledderer, The Dakotas, USA you are impersonating a Catholic priest. Your identity is fictitious. There are people on here that are believing you. I am asking you not to trick people anymore.